You should not pressure wash your tile roof. Pressure washing a tile roof isn’t a good idea as it can prematurely age the roof. Instead, you should use a spray-on solution to clean your tile roof.
It’s important to keep your roof clean, no matter what material it’s made out of. Some homeowners think that washing a roof could actually damage it, but the opposite is, in fact true. As long as you wash your roof using a method appropriate for its material, keeping it clean helps to not only improve the curb appeal of your home but also to minimize potential damage.
Why is pressure washing your roof a bad idea?
While pressure washing can be an effective method for cleaning various surfaces, it is often considered a bad idea for roofs. The main reason is that high-pressure water can damage delicate roofing materials. For example, asphalt shingles can flake, crack, or peel off with intense spraying, resulting in costly repairs or even premature roof replacement. Additionally, pressure washing can remove protective particles from shingles, reducing protection against UV rays and extreme weather conditions. Additionally, strong water can seep through roofing sheets and into the underlying structure, potentially causing water damage and promoting mold growth. Instead, you should opt for gentler cleaning methods, such as using a soft brush or a low-pressure cleaner, specifically designed for roofs, to maintain its integrity and age. life for your roof.
Why do you need to clean your tile roof?
Grime and dirt can build up on your roof over time. This prevents the natural color of your tile from showing through. Cleaning it off can reveal the stunning original color of your tile and improve the overall appearance of your home.
Additionally, keeping your roof clean can help to prevent damage to it. If branches and dirt have built up on your roof, it’s possible for the tiles to crack or chip, which reduces their effectiveness in protecting your home. Cleaning your roof is also a good opportunity to inspect it for any damage.
We recommend more frequent cleaning for older roofs, with cleanings every few years for newly installed roofs. It is also highly recommended that you hire a team of professionals to carry out roof cleaning rather than defaulting to DIY-ing the task yourself.
What are alternative options to wash your tile roof?
When it comes to cleaning a tile roof, it’s important to choose effective yet gentle methods to preserve the integrity of the tiles. Fortunately, alternative options provide safe and efficient cleaning without the risks associated with pressure washing. These alternatives not only help maintain the longevity of your tile roof but also ensure its aesthetic appeal. Let’s explore some of the top alternative options for washing a tile roof:
- Manual Scrubbing: Using a soft-bristle brush or broom, manually scrub the tile roof surface with a mild detergent solution to remove dirt, debris, and stains gently.
- Low-Pressure Washing: Utilize a low-pressure washer specifically designed for roof cleaning, which delivers a gentler spray to effectively remove grime and buildup without damaging the tiles.
- Professional Roof Cleaners: Consider hiring experienced roof cleaners specializing in tile roof maintenance. These professionals possess the expertise to apply the right techniques and cleaning agents, ensuring the safe and efficient restoration of your tile roof’s beauty.
- Biodegradable Cleaners: Explore biodegradable and eco-friendly cleaning solutions that are specifically formulated for tile roofs. These cleaners are designed to effectively remove dirt and stains while minimizing any negative environmental impact.
- Preventive Measures: Implement preventive measures such as regular inspections and maintenance to keep your tile roof clean and in optimal condition. This includes removing debris, trimming overhanging tree branches, and addressing any potential issues promptly to prevent the buildup of dirt and moss.
Can you walk on your roof to clean it?
It’s best to avoid walking on your roof unless you’re a professional roofer yourself. Walking on your roof yourself can be dangerous, especially if your roof has a steep pitch or you live in a two-story or taller home. It’s better to use a ladder and then a spray attachment on your hose to spray the cleaning solution onto your roof. Ultimately, the best option is to hire a professional roof cleaner and to avoid climbing onto your roof entirely.
Should you hire a professional?
Washing a tile roof can be tricky. Tiles could be damaged if you don’t wash them correctly. Plus, there’s the risk of injury if you do clean your roof yourself. Hiring a professional to clean your tile roof could help to minimize the risk of damage. Whether you clean your roof yourself or hire a professional to do so, it’s a good idea to have your roof professionally inspected for damage that you may miss yourself.
Do you want to learn more about roof maintenance?
Error: Contact form not found.