Have you considered using flat roof? Flat roofs are common during ancient time but still used these days. Having a roof space to be used as additional home space is worth the construction. You can do a lot with that additional space at your home rather the usual roof.
All About Flat Roofs
Flat roof is also known as low-slope. The slope of the roof that have 3-in-12 or less compared to usual roofing and almost level in difference to many types of sloped roof. The “pitch” is what is called as the slope of the roof.
Flat roof is seen used in any part of the world. The type and materials differs in every country. Looking at ancient history books, this is most commonly used by dessert nations like Egypt, Saudi Arabia and other neighboring countries where the usual climate is warm, less rainfall and freezing to take place. The most common material used was built on masonry or concrete since wood is not readily available in Arab peninsula. The concrete or masonry is a good material in defense to the strong heat from the sun.
Flat Roof Construction
Surely you’ll be thinking of what will happen to your home is you have flat roof and rain started pouring. Worry not because flat roofs are not what ancient times like anymore. Once constructed, the roof area is being waterproof. Also known as the membrane, this is any sheet material used to cover a flat roof. What the membrane does is allow the water to run off from a slight inclination in to the gutter.
Flat Roof types
There are modern flat roof types available in the market today including synthetic rubber, PVC or thermoplastic membrane, modified bitumen and metal type.
Modern Flat roof types:
- Synthetic rubber or EPDM rubber – exhibits agreeable compatibility with fireproof hydraulic fluids, hot and cold water. The main properties of EPDM why it is advisable to use are its outstanding heat, ozone, and weather resistance. With the unpredictable weather today, this type of material is mostly to stand such weather system. Synthetic rubber or EPDM rubber has an excellent electrical insulating property. This material does not pollute the overflow rainwater which makes it vital importance to use for rainwater harvesting.
- Thermoplastic Membrane or PVC or vinyl flat roofing – the material can last long and very durable. The material is lightweight and if installed properly is practically leak-proof.
- Modified Bitumen – this roofing material is made from asphalt and a variation of rubber modifiers and solvents.
- Metals – A flat metal roof is a durable and low-maintenance roofing option known for its longevity and excellent resistance to weathering.
- Lead metal roof, which is welded or folded-seamed
- Tin metal or copper metal roof which is folded, soldered or folded seam.
Compared to other flat roof types, metal flat roof are quite expensive and possibly be taken interest of and usually is sold as scrap metal but it is durable with proper maintenance.